Alberta Ballet School is amongst the top ranked classical ballet and contemporary dance training schools in North America, with successful alumni achieving professional contracts around the world annually. Open Division programming is offered to students who dance recreationally to those completing their advanced levels. Session, full year and summer programming is available to all students of all ages and levels.
Alberta Ballet School is currently seeking candidates for the position of Preschool Ballet Teacher to work with our preschool programming within the Open Division.
Number of Positions: 3 (PT Hourly Term Contract)
Timing: Fall 2020 Season; Classes are on Saturday mornings
- Structure and teach ballet classes following the School's System of Training
- Follow all teaching outlines and guidelines set out in the teacher handbook
- Teach preschool creative movement and musicality / rhythm to students using imagery and imagination
- Maintain appropriate staff/ student relationships
- Attend demonstrations, performances, professional development workshops and lectures.
- Produce written assessments on student progress
- Record and report on student attendance
- Communicate with parents of students as required and take notes of conversations with parents
- Any other duties as may reasonable be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job
- Attend and supervise rehearsals and performances which include the School's students
- Attend Year End Performance (YEP) rehearsals / performances
- Attend staff meetings and training usually within the school season but also others that fall before the start or at the end of each term.
- Experience teaching both male and female students
- Experience teaching preschool ages (3 to 5)
- Experience as a Professional Teacher: familiar with early childhood development
- Experience working with a live accompanist
- Certification in either Cecchetti or RAD teaching methods
- Proactive and flexible approach to work; willing to be involved in all areas of the School's dance initiatives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build good supportive relationships with students, colleagues and the wider dance community
- First Aid Certification preferred
- Flexible attitude towards duties and working patterns in order to fulfill the requirements of the role.
- Empathy with and a commitment to the aims and ethos of the School
- Willing to participate in Teacher Development Program when scheduled
- Knowledge of MS Office (Outlook) and computer usage
- Audition class required
- Must be available Saturday mornings & early afternoon; weekday subbing availability an asset
- Successful completion of a Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sectors checks
- Successful completion of Respect in Sport program.
Working Condition / Physical Requirements:
- Teaching - standing for long periods of time, repetitive movements, demonstrating dance
- Frequent walking, standing, bending and reaching
- Speaking for long periods of time, voice and speech indicating tempo, rhythm and quality
- Due to some computer usage, there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists
Alberta Ballet School operates six days a week from Monday to Saturday. Public hours of operation are 7:30 AM to 9:00 PM, Monday through Friday, and 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM on Saturdays. During summer months and school holidays, hours are 9:00 AM to 5:00PM.
- As a performing arts organization and academic school, there will be projects and pursuits that may require time above and beyond the typical work schedule including daytimes, evening and weekends for performances and recitals.
- Employees are expected to comply with all safety regulations
For more information on Alberta Ballet School https://www.albertaballetschool.com/ To apply directly to this posting, please go to the Alberta Ballet Company Careers webpage: https://www.albertaballet.com/careers