Alberta Ballet School is recognized as one of Canada’s leading dance schools. Established in 1991, our school offers training to dancers of all ages, levels and abilities. The Open Division offers programming from preschool through to adult classes, as well as foundation and intensive training. We presently offer programming in Calgary and Edmonton.
Our organization is currently seeking Ballet Teachers to join our team for the September 2020 school year.
Job Title: Ballet Teacher
Reporting to: Head, Open Division, Edmonton
Type of Position: Regular Part Time
Department: Open Division
Purpose: Ballet Teachers introduce students to music and movement skills for further development within ballet and dance. This position will work with our open recreational division and will provide instruction to young children through to adult students.
Required Availability: Evenings and weekends (part-time)
Expected Start Date: September 2020
1. Instructional Duties
- Structure and teach ballet classes following the School’s System of Training
- Follow all teaching outlines and guidelines set out in the teacher handbook
- Teach ballet and pointe from a strong, classical foundation to students in a variety of levels.
- Maintain appropriate staff/student relationships
- Counsel students as required
- Attend demonstrations, auditions and lectures
- Produce written assessments on student progress
- Record and report on student attendance
- Communicate with parents of students as required and take notes of conversations with parents
Any other duties as may reasonably be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job
2. Non Instructional Duties
- Assist the school and students with photo days
- Attend/Supervise rehearsals and performances which include the School’s students
- Attend Year-End Performance (YEP) rehearsals/performances
Attend staff meetings and training usually within normal working hours but also others that fall before the start, during or at the end of each term
Qualifications & Key Competencies:
- Experience teaching both male and female students at a wide range of levels
- Former professional dance training and / or performance experience is an asset.
- Qualified Cecchetti Ballet Teacher.
- Completion of a Teacher Training Program would be an asset.
- Proactive and flexible approach to work, willing to be involved in all areas of the School’s dance initiatives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to build good supportive relationships with students, colleagues and the wider dance community
- First aid training or willing to attend training courses
- Flexible attitude towards duties and working patterns in order to fulfill the requirements of the role
- Empathy with and a commitment to the aims and ethos of the School
- Willing to participate in Teacher Development Program when scheduled
- General knowledge of Office Equipment including a computer, scanner, email and outlook
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements
- This job is performed at the school in a variety of settings
- Teaching – standing for long periods of time, repetitive movements, demonstrating dance
- Frequent walking, standing, bending and reaching.
- Speaking for long periods of time, voice and speech indicating tempo, rhythm and quality
- Due to some computer usage, there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists.
- Alberta Ballet School operates six days a week from Monday to Saturday. Public hours of operation are 7:30 AM to 9:00 PM Monday through Friday, and 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM on Saturdays. Shortened office hours of 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM apply during school holidays and summer months.
- As a performing arts organization and academic school, there will be projects and pursuits that may require time above and beyond the typical work schedule including evening and weekends for performances and recitals.
- Employees are expected to comply with all safety regulations.
- Successful completion of a criminal record and vulnerable sectors check
Must complete Respect in Sport Activity Leader Certification.
Please submit your resume and cover letter for consideration.
For more information on our organization, please go to our website: www.albertaballetschool.com